Friday, January 21, 2011

Songbird Fly

"You kindof have a bird theme going on right now, don't you?" A friend was sitting in our dining room motioning toward several items of decor. "I guess I do" was the only response I could offer.

But it got me thinking. I've always said that my house is a big part of where I find artistic creativity, and I find it interesting that sometimes art speaks what our subconscious knows. Yes, I do have a thing for birds. The more I think on it the more obvious it seems, and it occurred to me that perhaps I should tell you the story of Songbird Fly.

It was about a year ago when I was once again rehashing certain events of the past. Even for my fairly sheltered life, there is enough content to keep me busy. Well-meaning organizations, loving parents, they all offer their share of wounds in more flavors than a Baskin Robbins. Realizing that my kid will probably need counselling no matter how good a parent I want to be for her is a humbling thought, but I digress. It was around this time that I was bringing these things to God and it felt weighty, and I mean a physical weight that I was carrying, or trying to carry, by myself. I don't necessarily feel like I have a great ability to hear from God, and I definitely don't just throw the "God told me" phrase around every day, but this was a very strong impression that I feel was truly from a loving Father.

"You don't have to carry those chains anymore."

You don't have to carry that. Why are you worrying and going back there? You were there because of Me. I brought you out and I protected you and I let you grow and I let you feel. The rest is Mine to carry.

You don't have to carry those chains anymore... in fact, you never did.

A couple of weeks later, I took part in an art group where we made collages around the theme of "Ransomed Notes". I thought I'd share mine with you. [large version here.]



I happened to end my collage with a picture of a bird that looks like it's about to take flight. Again, art speaks when we don't know our own hearts. No more chains. Fly.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful. i love it naomi. your home is beautiful. yesterday a friend wrote to me malachi 4:2 "For you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings." good stuff. im hearing the birds too. they sing His song over us :) love you.

    ReplyDelete