Sunday, July 15, 2012

On Perfectionism and Bonhoeffer

Every so often I'll read a blog and I think to myself, "I could be doing that. Why don't I write anymore?" Then I'll think of something to write, but because I don't have the time to make it perfect a lot of times I just forgo even the effort to produce something mediocre. So anyway, here's my new attempt at not being perfect and trying to just express myself with some adult thoughts other than what's related to cleaning or wiping butts or the load of dishes that is in front of me.

 ---------------------------------------------------------

 A very good friend of mine posted this quote on her facebook page and it has had me thinking ever since.

We prevent God from giving us the great spiritual gifts He has in store for us, because we do not give thanks for daily gifts. We think we dare not be satisfied with the small measure of spiritual knowledge, experience, and love that has been given to us, and that we must constantly be looking forward eagerly for the highest good. Then we deplore the fact that we lack the deep certainty, the strong faith, and the rich experience that God has given to others, and we consider this lament to be pious. We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts. How can God entrust great things to one who will not thankfully receive from Him the little things? --Bonhoeffer, Life Together

I am a huge fan of Bonhoeffer. Actually, the word "fan" doesn't even begin to describe my admiration for this man. I have read a few books of his and, of course, seen the movie/documentary of his life, and I have always been impressed with his work and character. But this quote has got me thinking that maybe there is more to this thought than what he has written. Here's what I think. I think that these little gifts--the little beauties of life--are the seeds that can take root and grow deep inside of us and, eventually, make their way to the surface and allow for real, true, deep, growth that becomes the "great" spiritual gifts that are obvious and apparent to everyone. It's not just that we should be thankful for these little gifts, it's that these little gifts are actually BIG gifts in a very small package.

I planted some bulbs this past year and I was reading about what to do with the leaves after the flowers have died. I read that you should never cut them off because the bulb is gathering all the nutrients from them that it needs to grow flowers for the next season, and that actually, by the time they die off, the bulb will have all of the flowers intact within itself (in that grubby little nut looking thing that you are supposed to dig up in the fall) and all it has to do is be planted and watered in the spring, and pop, out comes the blooms. That is the idea that I'm thinking of... that maybe all these little things that we are blessed with are actually the seeds of greatness. All the opportunities to forgive (with no resolution), to receive God's love (when it hurts like hell), to have faith (in a hopeless situation), all the little things that come at us one way or another. These are the things that grow our roots down DEEP.

What do you think?

Ok without thinking it over or doing a read-through, I'm just going to push "publish".

2 comments:

  1. typo! just kidding :-p

    I like this plan a lot.

    It's that thing of practicing presence, isn't it? I mean, I think Gladwell's 10,000 hours principle is kind of ruining some of those "little things" for me. W've grown to value time so highly that to spend it on dishwashing, or laundry, or diapering makes us feel like we are becoming experts in those things instead of in our real gifts. But practicing those servant-hearted things...through the fallow seasons, like you said with the bulbs, leads to something far deeper and more subtle to our understanding, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts. it takes me to Jeremiah 17...

    "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, who trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit."

    There is a difference between a wintering tree and a dead tree. But, the two can be easily confused. One has no life left to give and the other is waiting to burst forth in glory...one little bud at a time :)

    ReplyDelete